4.7 sailing

4.7sailor

Hi guys! I'm a sailor frm Pakistan and just shifted to the 4.7 frm the optimist. just wanted to know if there's any 4.7 sailors on this forum coz i can't find any posts specifically related to 4.7 sailing.
Cheerio!

im sure if you ask a question someone will have an answer. a laser's a laser - they all use the same hull just a different size sail so im sure things that apply in one type will apply in another.

thnx man. i was just asking coz the 4.7 is much more different than the radial and standard rigs although the hull is the same. the rig is much more stable. lee helm and weather helm dont develop as much as the other rigs. the sail's shape and cut is different which means the sail controls need to be set differently. the vang is especially very sensitive. so i was asking coz only a person who's a full-time 4.7 sailor can answer questions properly due to the above-mentioned facts.
cheers!!!!!!! :)

In about 20 KTS, Its just like a normal laser. Crank on the vang and cunningham. Not so mich on the outhaul though. I sailed them in the orange bowl.

yup sk8ing sailor. u're right. but where i sail the wind seldom goes above 15 knots. max i've sailed is 27 knots. just wanted to ask when i shouls shift to radial. i'm 15 and weigh 61 kg.

id say about now =] im 15 and im a bit heavier than you and i sail full rig - although to be fair, the wind isnt very strong here in hong kong ....

Not sure how many KG's I weigh, but I weigh 125 lbs. Im in a radial, And i can keep it flat in 15-20 kts. But only really because I am tall, and can get my back out there.

61 Kgs is 134 pounds.

125 pounds is 56 Kgs.

The range for Radial sailors is supposed to be 55 to 70 kgs, or 120 to 155 pounds. That can all vary depending on wind speed and height and strength of the sailor.

Having spent last Sunday watching my daughter in her 4.7 at a winter coaching day, the main comment made by the coach was in relation to tacking angle and speed out of a tack. Because the 4.7 sail is flatter than the radial or full sail, it is hard to get full speed straight out of a tack. He said it is better to come out low to let the boatspeed build up, and only then come up to max. height. To come out of the tack at the height you want to get to is too slow, and the little in height you keep by doing this is far outweighed by the speed you haven't got.

Peter

Back