4.7 Demos at Laser NA's

Vanguard and North Sails will be providing 10 Laser 4.7 demo rigs for sailors to use at North Americans from June 16 to 19 at Cedar Point YC.
The sailor will be responsible for supplying hull, blades, lines, boom, top mast, ratchet, hiking strap, etc. We will supply the sail, lower mast and battens.
Please email me at [email protected] to request a demo.
First come, first served.
DK

Ok, Mr. Kirkpatrick, lets do some advertizing here at TLF ;-)

I´ve seen at a Webpage from Performance Sailcraft UK, that I can get a new LaserPico-mainsail for a special price (under 180 Euro, 1Euro~1,2 US$) - and if I do my order online, I have to pay 10 % less (for all I do order online there).

A used mainsail (standard, 5 years old,good but "non-racing" conditions) cost about the same (a new "standard"-sail cost over 500 Euro here in Germany).

Now my question is, does the LaserPico-mainsail fits to the Laser Rig (Radial or the Standard, I have both)?

Unfortunately I can´t remember, although I´ve often sailed the LaserPico.
If this LaserPico mainsail fit´s to the Laser then that sail is a cheap new trainingsail for me and enough sail for a Lasercruiser [for 180 Euro!! :)] like me.

bye-bye
LooserLu

You could fit a Pico sail on a Radial rig. I've never tried it and can't tell you whether it will be any good or not, but it will fit the rig.

is there some world wide demo going on for 4.7s at the moment because we have a similar thing here in the uk at the moment and now they've got a youth squad of about 45!

It seems to be a good fit for a lot of junior programs and sailors. Kids like them. It took three weeks shy of forever to get the word out about Radials and get people onto that, now look what's happened with them. We're all just trying to push it along on the 4.7.
A case of the Class and builders working together. Of course there are evil undertones all over it. Just kidding, Shevy.

Hi there,
I have made a big mistake!
Why? You know, although the "GB" is a nation on the continent Europe, the British-economy works as it ever did: with POUND!! - not EURO! ...
Sorry, sorry! The LaserPico-mainsail costs 175 British Pound.
This has the solution, that this Laserstandard-recreational/"training"-mainsail will cost about 250 Euro.
For the Europeans, imn my opinion, this is also not expensive - but for other Lasersailors, for example at "NA", this is not cheap! Keep this in mind please, thank you.

Mr. Kirkpatrick, I was really not sure about that the LaserPico-mainsail fits to the Laser, thanks for your notice ;-)

For example: It has not gone long time, that at German ebay an about 13 years old Harstick ("compucut") Laserstandard sail (in good condition) is sold for 250 Euro!! Now make your own thoughts on it...

A new training-mainsail in best quality (of course, much better quality than this from the LaserPico) from a good sailmaker in GER (is also "merchandizer" for other 1design-classes) will cost about 350 to 400 Euro.

It´s everyones own desicion, what to buy. But at least, for me personally, as recreational/cruising-araound-Laserite the special offer from "PS-UK" is very interesting. :)

Here is the link:

http://www.lasersailing.com/uk/shop/specials/?i=75c820079ff321b91644a81174958ac9

Hey, what do you out-of-the-box-boat-builder at "down under" and RSA have to offer for a special price or to spent to the young upcoming Laserites, nothing?? ;-)

bye-bye
LooserLu

Hi, I have something to add:

quotation of the words of Mr. Kirkpatrick at this thread Reply No. #5:
"A case of the Class and builders working together. Of course there are evil undertones all over it. Just kidding, Shevy."

This words notice behind itsself to the issue about the fact, that the/a brother of the big boss off the out-of the-box-boatbuilder "Vanguard" is the president of the NA-Laserclass-association.
There are opinions that say, now the Laserclass in NA is owned by the out- of-the-box-boat-builder" Vanguard. Other think, that it is good in general for the NA-Laser-Assoc. Other say that it is better to have this constellation for a temporary time, than having little selfmade-antidemocrates on the top once again.
My opinion is just my opinion and in my heart, I´m not an ILCA-member but a DLAS-member (DLAS=German-LasserclassAssoc.) and no NA-Laserclass-Assoc.-member. I don´t want to interfere as much as needed here in this ""chip`n´chap"-fellowship-issue" and I´m glad that Mr. Kirkpatrick is talking with us (It´s sad, but I know no other one of the out-of-the-box-boat-builders that has the courage, to talk with us here at TLF - big thanks at this place to Mr. Kirkpatrick in the meaning from Laserite to Laserite).

So maybe Shevy or someone other tell us here at TLF (but) at Laser-Politics-Area please, what´s going on there in ILCA-NA.

But only say behind the words that something going wrong in the "state of denmark" in a thread about advertising only leaves "unanswered questions over unanwsered questions" at people like me and maybe other, that do not really understand in this aspect in which way the world is turning around at North America.
Goodbye
LooserLu
--------------
There are billions of thruth´s - but only 1 reality.

LooserLu said:
It´s everyones own desicion, what to buy. But at least, for me personally, as recreational/cruising-araound-Laserite the special offer from "PS-UK" is very interesting. :)

erm what infact are you buying? you know that the laser pico is a completely different boat to the laser rite?
also have u considered postage and packing because that will cost £20 on top of the normal rice to ship to germany! it should be quite a good deal considering the laser pico sail is half price to what it usually is!

James wrote: "you know that the laser pico is a completely different boat to the laser rite?"

James, sorry, you are not complete right in that you say.
The boat(-hull) is different, but I sailed it often in the Netherlands* and for me I can say, it remembers me very strong to the Radial (as Mr. Kirkpatrick noticed above) - just enough for a recreational / cruising around sailor. The Pico mainsail could be enough for a / cruising around Laser sailor, not a racer of course. A new Radial-mainsail (folded) cost here in GER about 570 Euro (ca. 680 US$!!! / 365 British Pound). Paying 250 Euro plus the postal service (~30 Euro) by ordering direct online at "PS" -this is not bad, James.

*[Look to TLF Photogallery in my(-members-)album you can see me sailing a Pico (also at my TLF attavar).]

> Of course there are evil undertones all over it. Just kidding, Shevy.

I think the 4.7 idea was a great idea! What other one design can take the kids graduating from the Optimist into their seventies or nineties, all using the same hull, same foils, same boom, same lower mast, same rigging, and never offering a diminishing rate of thrill and satisfaction?

The STANDARD here (in Istanbul) has become the Opti - 4.7 - Radial - Standard progression. It is as common in the rest of Europe, and I hope one day it will be as common in North America, too.

I appreciate the concept especially in the context of underdeveloped and developing nations with limited finacial resources that can be devoted by individuals or governments to the sport of sailing. A sailing club or sailing federation can acquire a few dozen Laser hulls, and with proper preventive maintenance, can see generations and genarations of sailors participate in our sport with minimal expenditures compared to switching classes (hulls).

One day (soon), the Laser 4.7 class will become receive the International designation. Every effort by the Builders and the Class to promote the 4.7 serves a really great purpose. Pico? Force 5? What are those? A waste of corporate resources?

Shevy

drLaser said:
I think the 4.7 idea was a great idea! What other one design can take the kids graduating from the Optimist into their seventies or nineties, all using the same hull, same foils, same boom, same lower mast, same rigging, and never offering a diminishing rate of thrill and satisfaction?

Err shevy surely youy mean same upper mast! its the lower mast section that changes! plus 4.7s have a pre bent lower mast section!

To be honest over here most oppie sailors go straight to the radials cos they are like 15!

but we now have a strong 4.7 fleet due to training and lots of advertisement for the boat!

Back