3 oz. of pressure? Soap-water leak detection

Pat75

Does anyone know how to measure the 3 oz. of pressure prescribed by the "knowledge base" when using soap water to find leaks? I plan to use an air compressor, but I don't know how to make sure it stays under 3 oz. of pressure.

No one can measure the 3 oz. But using an air compressor is dangerous - you stand a decent chance of popping the seams in the boat. If you could keep the compressor at maybe a pound you should be fine. But ususually you can just blow into the hull using your personal air compressor, AKA your lungs. That should provide more than sufficient pressure for the leak test. BB

I'm guessing the "ounce" measurement is a mistake. I think they meant to say "pounds" as in PSI.

Adult lungs can produce 1-2 PSI while blowing out, (depending on what altitude your at of course)

When I read the article, I assumed you can just blow into the drain plug until you feel the pressure build up, or at the most a can of compressed air.

The inspection ports on my Sunfish leak air, so I used a cork with a hole drilled in it, a tire valve and a small bike tire compressor, running, while I soap. This may not be a great idea, but I was pretty cautious. The cork would pop out before the hull seam would burst. (I think :eek:) I soap the inspection ports to make sure they are letting out a good amount of air before I check anything else. This set-up worked for me. I'll try to attach some photos.

Image09152012153235_zps62774df2.jpg

Image09152012153201_zps8335c69e.jpg

Reactions: tag

Back