$25 Sunfish-It's true! I'll Prove It!

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by rhr@cebridge.net, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mwallin

mwallin New Member

trailer looks good nice to im not the only one buying sidwalk chalk! Im prayin he will give up on sidewalk art and make a good first mate.

2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I have a small daily input of water—perhaps a half-pint each day—but my splashguard drain is seized shut. :eek: That leak is likely at the daggerboard trunk—and I can live with a small leak like that. :)

After each day's sail, my Sunfish is stored on a steep wooden ramp, and it's easy to reach the transom, so why not install a drain on the transom's starboard side? :confused:

3. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

K.E.V.A.N.E SAILS is where I found my $139 sail. Without the periods. For some reason the forum wouldn't let me type the name ******.

4. matias

matias Member

you sould try doing it and let us know how did it go, I don´t think the foam blocks will be a problem

5. douglas_zargham

douglas_zargham Member

wow cool - what method did you use to apply the paint?

6. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Personally, I would rather replace the 'official' drain. Just drill out the screws and the old one should come out. Then install a new (plastic) one.

Considering the internal foam blocks (http://www.sunfishforum.com/content.php?pg=construction) the path for the water to get to the stern is pretty convoluted. But I must admit that the slope will help the drainage process.

:) Finding and fixing the leak would even be better :)

7. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

I'm assuming you are asking me...paint on boat...foam roller then brush out bubbles. Paint on trailer...Bud Light (bottle) in left hand, cigarette between first and second fingers, spray can in right hand, country music on the radio. That's how I did it!

8. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

Messing around in the garage today, I made something to carry the mast roll while trailering. The stern mount is not real easy to see. I Made a "T" with some 1 1/2" pine and mounted two 2" corner brackets. It attaches to the rudder mount using 5/16 bolts through the corner brackets and big wing nuts to tighten things up. I covered it with bunk carpet. The front mount is plain old PVC scrap I had laying around. It all worked out pretty good.

Attached Files:

9. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Hey, that's pretty brilliant. I think you just found your retirement investment. I think I'm going to make something similar. BTW, I acquired a SF this year that I am refurbishing. I really like the black combing on the white deck. I haven't seen that before but it really stands out. Where did you get the aluminum bumper? How much was it? How difficult was it to reinstall? What tools were needed?

10. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

I got the aluminum rub rail at Lowes. It's 3/8" glass channel and comes in 8 foot sticks. I heated the channel to make the bends around corners. Still had to crimp the channel a little where it tried to flair at the bends. Easy to do and much cheaper than the original stuff which is way too expensive and only available in 5 foot sticks.

11. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

I sold the Sunfish for $1,550. I had spent about $900 on top of the original $25 I paid for boat and trailer so I cleared a little profit. With the money I bought a brand new 6hp Nissan long shaft outboard motor. Why? For my 1978 Pearson 26 One Design sailboat I found on Craigslist for $1,000. It was a better score than the $25 Sunfish. I'm on a roll!

12. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I found a 1975 Mutineer with trailer (mint) for 400$ earlier this year. Sails are old but usable. After a wash they were almost bright white. Maybe someone should start a forum where people can show off some of their rock bottom craigslist treasures.

13. Bob1357

Bob1357 New Member

I thought I would share my newly acquired girl for $100.00 She was black and green with mold and algae. After 3 evenings and day of cleaning, minor hull repairs and a nice wax, here she is. I love her.

Attached Files:

14. tag

tag my2fish

that's a nice boat, bob! what a neat color combination - I think you'd have a hard time finding a new sail in those colors. have you sailed it yet?

cheers,
    thad

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Wow. That was a steal. Did it come with the rudder and daggerboard?

16. Bob1357

Bob1357 New Member

Actually the sail was a tad dirty, but cleaned up like new. The rudder and dagger board are also like new. All the hardware were in old plastic bag. The only thing missing was that wood screw that holds the spring like shim that keeps the dagger board from popping up. I took her out a few days ago with a wind of about 3 to 5 miles an hour on a 23 acre lake that I'm on. I was very surprised at how fast and responsive she is. I think she was built in 72 or 73 from what little research I've done.

17. Ghost

Ghost New Member

If you look at the last two digits on the serial number, that is the model year.