2017 Class Rule changes:

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by torrid, Apr 17, 2017.

1. torrid

torrid Just sailing

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

As an old guy with not so great eyesight, the digital compass option looks attractive, except for the cost of course.
    The other three proposed changes seem minimal. Perhaps that's why this thread has not received any responses, up to now.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 12:08 PM
  3. Jaap Schellekens

Jaap Schellekens New Member

I'd love the digital compass which would probably mean I could sail without my glasses....

4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I think all the proposed rules are self-explanatory, and I would imagine they came directly from class membership input.

The inhaul and hiking strap rules don't really add cost or give an unfair advantage. The rules just needed to be adjusted to specifically allow them. The digital compass will obviously add some cost, but I think it is something that many sailors have wanted. The class does need to keep up with technology to some degree (spars and sailplan aside). I think allowing only a digital compass and not a GPS or computer is a good route to go.

I am a little unsure about cameras. It doesn't really add any advantage during a race, and in fact could be a distraction. However I suppose it could be argued as giving someone an advantage in the protest room. I'm not sure if sailing rules in general allow for instant replay. Regardless, I voted for it.

5. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Have been thinking about these a few days... and still not quite sure.

Boat or body mounted camera: yes, because why not. Protest committees may or may not use the footage as evidence, just like now with video shot from race committee or coach boats.

Shock cord inhaul: don't know. Replacing a detailed rule text with a vague one isn't necessarily a good idea. The stated reason, to remove attachment point restrictions, isn't very convincing. Does the boat become any better if you tie the inhaul somewhere else than the boom cleat?

Adjustable hiking strap: basically yes, cool idea, but again the rule is vaguely written and doesn't really say what it means. Can you use the one allowed shackle to attach the cleat to an eyestrap? Is a trapeze style Clamcleat with a roller allowed?

Electronic digital compass: in practice, this would mean that the Raymarine Micro compass (formerly TackTick) would become standard equipment like in almost all other classes. Looking at my national dealer's price list, it's 365.80 € for the base unit only. The deck mount (which you would use in the Laser) costs 68.20 - and that's for a very simple piece of plastic. Allowing overpriced equipment doesn't sound smart (yes, carbon tillers should have been banned around 1997), but am I a luddite if I vote no? Probably. :cool:

6. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Yes, I voted in favor, but now that I see the price tag (over $400) for the Micro compass I am wondering about my sanity (and wallet).
    I typically sail on protected waters where a compass is more of a distraction than an actual help. I guess that for open water racing I will continue to rig up my analog compass, old eyes notwithstanding.

It would be great of course if a lesser expensive digital compass would be available.

7. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

Nautalytics Compass is $335 and TackTick T060 Micro even less.
    Please vote yes and help your blind master sailors.
    E

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

The Nautalytics (digital magnetic compass for the sport of sailing) looks good, but doesn't include a timer, and seems to be available only through the manufacturer itself (and APS). Add shipping + taxes + duty and it's in the same price range as the Raymarine Micro. (Which really shouldn't be called TackTick anymore. It's the same product.)

(Correction: the Raymarine deck mount for the Micro is not plastic but metallic. Massively overpriced anyway.)

9. Jaap Schellekens

Jaap Schellekens New Member

Did not realise how expensive these are. My garmin watch includes a good digital compas (plus a GPS which means I cannot use it while racing) and much more for less.

10. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

From a former measurer's perspective:

Whilst I'm in favour of permitting digital compasses, I can see that a measurer will need to know the capability of every digital compass on the market, both currently and what's available in the future. I'd rather that the bullet is bitten and that everything is permitted or keep the status quo. Why make a rule that cannot be really policed?

Cameras, the rule is to vague, where can the camera be mounted? I've seen tripod systems hanging more than a metre/yard off the transom, also on interpreting the rule, cameras are not permitted on the spars. The location could impact on the right of way rules.

I haul shock cord, sensible change. To many boats were failing to rig it legally and it was easy as a measurer to miss that it wasn't legal, even though there was little advantage.

Hiking Strap, OK. I can see someone trying to mount the cleat on the strap and the first part of the rule doesn't prevent it. Without carefully reading the rules, I suspect the cleat could even be mounted on the deck.
    Note: I've very quickly responded here, without spending a thoroughly reading through the class rules.

11. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Spending $400 on a digital compass wouldn't make the owner of a proper yacht blink, nor somebody with a high-performance trap/foily thing.

I don't know where other classes stand on digital compasses, and of course the number of Lasers racing are nowhere near what they used to be. However, it looks to me like a new market has opened up for a more affordable digital compass solution.