2010 Sunfish North American's Update Thread

Please see the below regarding the 2010 Sunfish North American’s at the Mattituck YC this summer July 20 -25. John Condon is the very amiable host for the regatta.

------------------------

Here is a link for motels, hotels and B&B's on the North Fork. http://www.northfork.org/Lodging.html If you are planning on attending it is recommended to book ASAP. Also, please notify John if you want to tent or want housing.

There are many small motels and B&B's on the North Fork between Riverhead and Greenport. Riverhead and Greenport are approximately 15 min. either side from Mattituck YC.

John blocked 15 rooms at the Best Western of Riverhead 631-369-2200 (Sunfish North Americans-Mattituck YC). Riverhead has the large hotels including the Best Western, Holiday Inn express and Hilton Garden Inn. There are other Motels in Jamesport including the Country Inn, Bayview Inn and Motel on the Bay. John was unable to get blocked rooms at these hotels.

The rental agents are Town & country 631- 298-0600, Prudential - 631-727-2000, Community Rentals-631-298-9300.

There will be plenty of room for camping and room to expand to nearby locations including John’s front yard if necessary. The club is currently working on coordinating housing with members.

Please contact John if you have any questions on housing.

John Condon
condon77173 <at> hotmail.com

So, I take it by the mention of tenting that camping is allowed? I will most likely be camping then. Barring any unforseen circumstances I will be attending.

For anyone interested in chartering a Sunfish, I will bring an my extra race rigged Sunfish (with dolly) to the 2010 Midwinters, International Masters, North Americans and US Masters. I plan to race in all 4 events. Anyone who knows is aware that my boats are tricked out to the max for racing. You won't find a scratch on them anywhere. I take care of these babies. Available boat is a 2005 (blue stripes down the middle) with a 2006 World's sail #3615 (unused since Worlds)(or bring your own sail), mast cleat, Zhik hiking strap, outhaul and uphaul with reef capability, choice of several hiking sticks, mainsheet ratchet with custom mounted clam cleats, and an optional low-profile compass. In short, every gaget except a start timer.

Charter fee is a steal - $150 payable at the event, plus compensation for any damages and a good character reference if I don't know you.

2010 North American Championship NOR

Mattituck Yacht Club will be hosting the Sunfish North American Championships from July 20-25.* Starting planning a summer vacation to the beautiful North Fork of Long Island!* All the information you need is found the regatta’s Notice of Race.Notice of RaceMattituck YC website

More...

Preliminary List of Competitors

This is a list of RSVPed or registered competitors for the 2010 Sunfish North American Championship.* The official list of registrants participating in the regatta will be posted after the event starts.Ryan AndersonAndrew BatesAlec BersteinSimon BertocciGuido BertocciBobby BogerBill BrangiforteBrandon BuonaiutoJohn CatoRichard CatoKen CharlesDayton ColieTony CollinsJohn CondonTed CremerDavid DaviesMary DesmondCraig DursoRob EberleBrent EvensMacklin FluehrMike FortnerLiza GenoveseDan [...]

More...

2010 North Americans

Mattituck, NY, USA - Sunfish sailors will begin converging on the North Fork of Long Island today in anticipation of the 2010 Sunfish North American Championship.** Over the next six days, the event will be contested on the waters of the Great Peconic Bay off the shores of the Mattituck Yacht Club.From Tuesday until Thursday, [...]

More...

Midget and Junior North American Championship - Day 1

Mattituck, NY, USA - The first day of the 2010 Midget and Junior North American provided the competitors with electric conditions.* At around noon forty boats headed out for the day’s first race in a 10-12 knot breeze.* The 2009 Junior North American Championship runner up, Kamilla Sabogal of Ecuador, took top honors.* She was pushed [...]

More...

Guitierrez and Gugliemini Win Youth NAs

Mattituck, NY, USA - The second day of racing at the 2010 Midget and Junior North American Championship provided extremely challenging conditions for the youth of the Sunfish Class. The gusty and shifty west-northwest breeze between 10-20 knots would have been physically demanding to any fleet. However, the young Sunfish sailors persisted, and weathered the [...]

More...

North American Championship - A Long Wet First Day

Mattituck, NY, USA - Today was the first day of the 2010 Open North American Championship. The fleet left the beach at 11:30 AM and sailed two races in a 5-8 kt west southwest breeze. After the second race, strong rain and threatening thunderstorms forced the sailors to shore. After a brief delay the fleet [...]

More...

So if you are wondering why only two races today....we started a race a little after noon in a light northerly. The race committee intended to shorten course after one lap of the WL course but the wind went to zero and they abandoned. I was having a good race and was so mad they abandoned I threw my toupee overboard in a fit of anger. That wasn't very smart as I did not have a hat with me.

The seabreeze came in and we got in a good race, although it was a long race. I used to be able to drive my Studebaker from Chicago to Detroit in less time.

The third race (the second one to count for the day) started in the seabreeze although it was getting light and shifty. The committee shortened again when the wind went to zero. Then the breeze filled in right to left, hosing those on the left about as bad as Kennedy beat Nixon back in 1960.

Forecast for tomorrow is for 10-15. Here's hoping!

TUM

TUM: Sorry about the toupee. I thought it made you look fast.

If I lived any closer, I would come over and bring you my lucky hat for the Sunday races.

Bill Brangiforte Wins North American Championship

Mattituck, NY, USA - One month ago, Bill Brangiforte withdrew from the World Championship because of tendanitis in his left elbow. Unsure he could compete in the North American Championship, he decided to come anyway and see how things went. He took a day to day approach and monitored his elbow closely.On the final race [...]

More...

Back