News 2009 Sunfish North American Championship Update Thread

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
The 2009 Sunfish North American Championship will be in historic Charleston, South Carolina (USA) at James Island YC. The James Island YC has a long history with the Sunfish Class. They last hosted the North American Championship in 1994.
Charleston is a family friendly tourist destination, with a large number of hotels, inns, and charming bed and breakfasts. The city proper offers a rich history with multiple museums, a large number of award-winning restaurants and quality shopping. Read more about the city’s tourist attractions at the Charleston Vistors Bureau. The Charleston area is also known for its great golf and beautiful clean beaches.
On the final day of the regatta, the tall ships participating in the trans-atlantic challenge race will arrive in Charleston Harbor. Charleston is one of only two stops in the continental United States.
Plan your vacation now. You will not want to miss this regatta!
Notice of Race
RSVPed and Registered Competitors - Open NAs
RSVPed and Registered Competitors - Junior & Midget NAs
Lodging Guide
Charleston Harbor Lessons Learned
Visit the James Island YC
Visit the Official Website of the City of Charleston
Visit the Charleston Visitors Bureau
Visit the Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge website
Visit the Charleston Harborfest website

Junior and Midget North American Championship - Day 1

Charleston, SC - The James Island Yacht Club is hosting 25 youth sailors at the 2009 Midget and Junior North American Sunfish Championships.* The participants are representing six different US Sunfish Regions - Florida (1), Gulf Coast (2), Mid-Atlantic (5), New York (1), Southeast (12) and Southwest (1).* In addition, there are three sailors representing [...]

More...

2009 Junior and Midget North American Championship - Day 2

On Monday night after racing, the water levels at James Island YC rose so high that the club’s parking lot flooded.* This was a clear indication that the currents for the following day would be extremely strong.* The second day dawned with a 10 knot northerly breeze.* After sailing in a windy northerly on day [...]

More...

2009 North American Championship - Day 1

On Day 1 of the 2009 North American Championship, the youth of the Ecuador Sailing Team served notice that they will be a serious force to reckon with during the regatta.* After capturing the Junior North American title on Tuesday, seventeen year old Jonathan Martinetti continued where he left off and dominated the first day [...]

More...

2009 North American Championship - Day 2

Day 2 of the Sunfish North American Championship separated the contenders from the pretenders.* After getting caught in an unfavorable current during the first race, Jonathan Martinetti of Ecuador rebounded to win two more races and finish third in another.* Martinetti continues to lead the regatta.* Two time Sunfish World Champion, David Loring of Charleston, [...]

More...

Re: Sunfish North American Championship Update Thread

I got a cryptic message that in the first race only 44 boats made the time limit. Also sounds like massive current meant that some windward legs had minimal tacking as boats were simply swept towards the layline. Chris

It's been windy, today (Friday) in Charleston. Should give David Loring an advantage in catching up with those fast junior sailors from Ecuador....

And the NAs winner is...

The word I got from down south is Jonathan Martinetti, age 17, from Ecuador won it, with David Loring of Charleston 2nd. No other word. If the results are posted somewhere, I cannot find them. Chris

Jonathan Martinetti Wins North American Championship

Seventeen year old Jonathan Martinetti of Ecuador is taking home all the hardware from Charleston.* After starting the week with a victory in the Junior North American Championship, Martinetti concluded the week by capturing the overall North American title.* The Ecuadoran demonstrated experience and composure beyond his years on the final day of racing and [...]

More...

Here are the final results for the Midget, Junior and Open North American Championships.

Junior & Midget Final Results - Overall
Junior & Midget Final Results - By Division

Open Final Results - Overall
Open Final Results - By Division

Code:
http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2009/race-results/2009JuniorNAs-Overall.htm
http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2009/race-results/2009JuniorNAs-Division.htm
http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2009/race-results/2009OpenNAs-Overall.htm
http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2009/race-results/2009OpenNAs-Division.htm

There is no true fleet split anymore. Everyone sails together. For the purpose of distributing more awards, the fleet is broken down 60-40. However, James Island YC has not provided me with those results.

60% of 76 is 45.6, so I think the winner should have been Jack McCarthy of Brant Beach, NJ. To be honest, I had to miss the awards ceremony and at this time cannot confirm the results.

Where are the Alcort Fleet results??

There hasn't been a true split in fleets in many years at the Nationals. Something to reconsider?
Of course, running two starts, one for the Gold and one for the Silver/Alcort fleet, makes things more complicated for the organizers. Nicer for the sailors though, IMHO, especially when there is a good turnout, like this year (76 registrants).

2010 Sunfish North American Championship

The 2010 North American Championship will be hosted by the Mattituck Yacht Club in New York.* The club is located in Long Island’s pristine wine country on the North Fork.* The championship will be contested on the waters of the Peconic Bay just off the Mattituck Yacht Club’s beach.The official NOR and other information will [...]

More...

Like Derek said the split is made when the final results are in. This year the magic number was 46th. So, Jack did win the Alcort trophy and awards were given 5 deep.

Sunfish North Americans - Thanks

Hello all:

From the feedback I am getting, our event was a huge success. It was truly a team effort, and every single player was important. It was great to see a 75 boat turnout, and the talent was deep.
I know that not everyone will serve as regatta chairman for a major event and I thought it would be appropriate to list people and their roles to provide a little appreciation for the effort it takes.

(** = also raced in the event)

Jay Adams (local host)
Sarah Ashton (judge)
Lori Bates (committee boat and photography)
Jane Beasley (start horn)
Bob Bowden (judge)
Steve Bundred (trophies)
Ashley Byrd (registration and scoring)
L.S. Carper (local host)
Dayton Colie (safety boat, jazz band and photography) **
Dave Davies (event stickers)
Jennifer Draheim (photography)
Bob Drew (safety boat)
Rob Eberle (measurement) **
Nicky Einthoven (safety boat and photography)
Pete Ferrera (committee boat)
Hamilton Foster (committee boat)
Meta Frasch (lunches and dinners) **
Ryan Hamm (local host and loaner boats) **
David Hazeltine (commodore and club support)
Mike Heister (lunches, flags, gas, etc.)
Robert Hertel (safety boat)
Derek Jackson (class president, measurement and trusted advisor) **
Emmett Johnson (safety boat)
Ed Lohr (gate marks)
Dan Machowski (judge)
Liisa Machowski (registration and scoring)
Ron Maguire (club manager, cashier, beer wagon, porta-potties, cleanup crews, drinks, etc.)
Susan Mallows (class regatta coordinator and trusted advisor) **
Mary Massalon (weather mark)
Craig Milliken (weather mark) **
Joan Milliken (committee boat)
Kelly Milliken (committee boat)
Ron Moede (gate marks)
Austin Moede (gate marks)
Lynn Pagliaro (weather mark and loaner boats)
J.D. Rosser (judge)
Rose Rowland (loaner boats)
Frank Rupp (start pin)
John Sayre (sponsor, charter boats, door prizes and material support)
Steve Shapiro (club boats, marks, anchors, flags, etc.)
Hal Smith (PRO and trusted advisor)
Sally Smith (committee boat)
Steve Smith (safety boat)
Dean Surette (committee boat)
Joe Valente (start pin)
Al Votaw (weather mark and local host)
Maureen Whitehurst (registration and scoring)
Rick Whitehurst (regatta chairman, loaner boats, lost & found)
Joe Wilson (local host, safety boat and odd-jobs)
Larry Workman (start pin and hats)

I probably missed a few. You all deserve my personal thanks for a job well done.

Back