2009 Sunfish Junior N.A. video

chucktowncolie

I shot some footage of the Junior North Americans and figured it would be nice to share it with everyone. It's under ten minutes b/c that's what I had to do in order to put it on youtube.

enjoy

I guess you're talking about the guy and gals from Ecuador (and a few other Juniors as well)....they are running with Jens rigs. They deliberately lower the spars and adjusts the goosenecks to de power the boats - It doesn't have much of an effect in light air, but in heavy air it allows the upper spar to bend. I've never run a Jens, so someone please feel to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I noticed the sail is very low on the mast and the gooseneck is very far forwards.

As Dayton already pointed out, these were all juniors, some of them definitely lightweights. You can see some whitecaps. But almost all racers carry the sailplan low, with the tack 2-4" off the deck.
And yes, several had tied a Jens rig, for instance Ecu 2, 4 and 5 and 78783; maybe others as well.

Also note at least two boats touching a mark :eek:. The video shows one of them (77338) doing a circle afterwards. PS: I am not implying that the other one didn't do what's right.

Thanks Dayton, this video is SO much better than the usual YouTube product.

Apparently quite a current at that yellow mark that 2 boats hit. There was wind, but, in relation to the mark, which was leaning in the current, the boats were barely moving at all. I could almost feel the frustration. Usually, these longish videos don't keep my attention, but this one did. Thanks.

Back