2006 NAs?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by 58984 EW, Oct 19, 2005.

1. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

I have been trying to figure out where the 2005 NAs will be held. Someone told me Kansas (??), but I can't seem to find a mention of that anywhere.

EW

2. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

Oops. I meant the 2006 NAs, of course

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Kansas eh? Should be great winds because, as they say, Texas sucks and Kansas blows.

4. THE COOKIE PIMP

THE COOKIE PIMP New Member

Sunfish home page has not been up dated, I think those that do were affected by Katrina. I know Int. Masters are at Davis Island. Midwinters at Melbourne. Masters around Chicago. The South American Championchips were just up dated. Would have been nice to Know some of the dates ahead of time 30 days is short notice.

I have to make plans months ahead.

Fairwinds

5. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

At this year's NA's Todd Edwards indicated they would be in his neck of the woods (gulf coast) but since Katrina, I don't know how that affects anything. Old Geezer would probably host them but he'd probably charge $500/person and give us hot dogs and warm beer. Inflation you know.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Hey - what's wrong with $500? Remember, Lewes originally wanted to charge us $190 for the 2 day Junior NAs. So if I run a 5 day event, $500 would be quite reasonable. But the hot dogs would have be extra.

7. oompanyc

oompanyc Member

The rumor I have heard is that the NA's will be at James Island Yacht Club in the Charleston, SC area...I would assume the date would be around the same time as the past 2 years, middle of July...But, like I said, this is just speculation.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Cool. Charleston would be fantastic. HELLOOOOOO Sunfish class officers...are you there.... is anybody listening? Tell us what is going on if you want us to renew our membership at the end of the year. :confused:

9. derekcjackson

derekcjackson Member

Last I heard the NAs were going to be held at Rush Creek Yacht Club in the Dallas, TX area sometime in June. Similar to Brian's "rumor", until something is officially announced this is just speculation.

10. mike4947

mike4947 Member

11. RobinJohnston

RobinJohnston New Member

YES, the 2006 Sunfish NA's will be held at Rush Creek Yacht Club (just outside of Dallas, Texas). Our website is www.rcyc.org. The regatta will be held in June and I will come back and post the exact dates (I don't want to get them wrong). Our club has hosted many North American events for various classes and we are really looking forward to hosting this one. We will offer some great racing and fun times off the water too. Hope to see everyone there!

Robin Johnston
    Sunfish Fleet #697
    RCYC, Heath, Texas

12. RobinJohnston

RobinJohnston New Member

OK, got these 2006 NA dates from our Commodore (who happens also to be a Fish sailor):

Sunfish NA's: June 19th - 24th. June 19th is Opening Day, June 20 - 21 is the junior event, June 22 - 24 is the senior event.

I am sure you will be seeing more official information soon but go ahead and "save the date" and come race with us in June.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Thanks Robin. What are the expected weather conditions in June? Average wind speed? Temperature?

14. Mike Fortner

Mike Fortner New Member

Any way to push the NA's to the following week? Any junior sailor from New York will still be in school at that time. It also excludes those from New York who happen to be teachers. My principal would kind of frown upon me calling in sick the last week of school.

Mike Fortner
    Rochester Canoe Club

15. oompanyc

oompanyc Member

I second the motion for moving the dates back in the calendar a bit...Is it possible to keep the traditional dates using the precedent set over the past few years...the second week of July has been working well. If the regatta is in June, doesn't give much time for any of the northern sailors to practice...and creates many conflicts with northern racing calendars.

16. Bishop

Bishop 43681

Robin,
    I edit the website and if you get the Notice to me I'll get it up on the Championships box at sunfishclass.org

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Geeze - maybe the folk that put together the Sunfish racing calendar in the north need to arrange their regattas around the dates of the NAs and not vice versa. And maybe if you want to do well in the NAs you need to be doing some frostbite sailing now and not wait until June to start to practice.

18. dphoye

dphoye Regular Member

June was selected for the NAs as the winds in Dallas in July can often be non-existent and the day time temps could be very hot. June typically has much more reliable winds and the temps should a bit more comfortable as well. In June 2005 we hosted the Sunfish Regionals South and it was 15-18 all weekend. Sveral years back the J22 Nationals were on our lake in June and they too had excellent winds all week for their event. So the decision to go with June was made with the best intentions for the sailors participating and it was moved back as far as we could in the month at the suggestion of the class office.

David Hoye
    VC of Race and fellow 'fisher
    Rush Creek Yacht Club

19. oompanyc

oompanyc Member

However, it does prohibit all pre-college students in the northeast from participating cause they all have final exams that week. Shouldn't we attempt to have as many juniors at the regatta as possible? After all, they are the future of the class.

Either way, its all good with me, I prefer to have wind.

20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Brian has a good point that the northern sailors need some opportunities to practice early in the season. So how about it NE, NY and MA reps? Can we schedule some Regionals in May and June?