2006 Laser Worlds underway!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by SFBayLaser, Sep 13, 2006.

1. TLF

TLF News Robot

Article on Patagonia’s: TheCleanestLine.com (Campbell Sailing)

An article that I used a few months ago about the greener aspects of boat racing and the impacts of travel from our sport has been picked up by Patagonia’s TheCleanestLine.com. Have a look.

More...

2. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 6 August 2007 Gaining Local Knowledge (Campbell Sailing)

Here comes another Wednesday-edition of Monday Morning Tactician thanks to the travel schedule that comes with the territory of the Olympic campaign. I’ve finally made it back to San Diego for a bit of laundry and re-packing before heading back out in the green machine to sail in Kingston’s CORK regatta later this month.I had [...]

More...

3. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 13 August 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

Another late edition and another week of traveling. After spending a few nights at home in*San Diego, the CampbellSailing-mobile struck out on the road headed northeast for the final few months leading into the Olympic Team Trials in October. The little green pickup was heavily loaded with enough gear for the late summer heat and [...]

More...

4. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 27 August 2007 Canoeing Without a Paddle (Campbell Sailing)

After driving from the temperate north and upstate New York to the hot and muggy swamp of the Chesapeake bay, I had the pleasure of taking a step back in time and taking a role as main trimmer and tactician for the Log Canoe Silver Heel and its crew of rag-tag Georgetown sailors and friends. [...]

More...

5. TLF

TLF News Robot

CORK 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

Late summer vacation has come and gone for all most sailors of school-going age across the United States. The first cool northerlies are beginning to streak through the northern states, presenting a welcomed break from the oppressive August heat. Racing sailboats in the late summer is some of my favorite time on the water. Besides [...]

More...

6. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 3 September 2007 Back to School Special (Campbell Sailing)

The crisp air of autumn has begun its weekly sweep across the Northeast, and with it comes numerous side effects. Waters begin to cool off and the days get shorter. Trees full with leaves begin to dry up and turn color. Hazy, sunny seabreeze days are replaced by clean, clear northerlies. And, school buses clog [...]

More...

7. TLF

TLF News Robot

Coach Boat? (Campbell Sailing)

After arriving in Newport, we’ve had a few fantastic days of training to start the month of September, the final month before our Olympic Trials. Training partners are arriving and the details and routines are all falling into their respective places. All but one. I have a coach lined up for a number of days [...]

More...

8. TLF

TLF News Robot

Postcards From Newport: Life on Third Beach (Campbell Sailing)

After arriving in Newport during Labor Day weekend everything seems on a trend towards tranquility. The beach crowds have thinned and the traffic in the parking lots have eased even though the $10 charge has disappeared. The lifeguard stands have been hauled off the beach and the channel markers off of the Third Beach launching [...]

More...

9. TLF

TLF News Robot

Postcards from Newport: A Day in the Life (Campbell Sailing)

This evening, instead of the typical Monday Morning Tactician, I’ll give you a rundown of a “normal” day in the life of a campaigner. I had the pleasure of speaking at the Island Heights Yacht Club in New Jersey this weekend and was particularly impressed with the number of honest questions regarding the day-to-day practice [...]

More...

10. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Re: Postcards from Newport: A Day in the Life (Campbell Sailing)

Hey, I understand the limits of blogs and honestly n all, but this kind of thing does you a disservice and gives the false impression you dithered your way to the top by putting in 2 1/2 hours a day sailing.

You'd be better off constructing an imaginary "average day" where you add up gym time, travel time, sailing time, strategy time, eating time, regatta time etc over the period of a year, month or week and recalculating it into 24hrs. Even though such a day wouldn't truely have happened, it would be more "honest".

Then to bring the science back into reality you could add your personal philosophy of not beating yourself up about slack days, mistakes etc or whatever angle it is you have.

Best of luck.

11. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell Sai

Topics of conversation between sailors often spiral out of control towards argument. The beauty of that lack of control is the healthy variety of themes the conversations produce. For whatever reason, the topic most striking on our list this week is where and how*it is appropriate to exonerate yourself on the racecourse by means of [...]

More...

12. powergroove

powergroove Member

Re: Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell

Andrew, interesting scenarios, but I think I have some answers for you. My friend the US Sailing International Judge said he has seen this scenario several times and the skipper was always DSQ'd. Reasoning, the tack and/or gybe were all considered part of racing and not part of a penalty turn.
    On another note, one tack and one gybe is not a 360, it really could be a 270, and perfectly legal. Read Dave Perry's book, he's got an nice little picture that shows this scenario.
    Hey, and good luck on the campaign, if you're ever in S Carolina, look me up for some racing.

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Re: Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell

Thanks for posting this, PowerG. I thought that Andrew's theory was a little suspect. I wish him well on his Olympic campaign, too.

14. TLF

TLF News Robot

Training Continues… (Campbell Sailing)

Yesterday with the southwesterly blowing and a building sea,*we decided to take the boats up to Pt Judith and run the 13 miles downwind back to Third Beach. The run took about two and a half hours with CampbellSailing.com Staff Coach Nick Deane taking film from our donated rib from Island Heights Yacht Club. In [...]

More...

15. TLF

TLF News Robot

Postcards From Newport: 1 October 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

With four weeks*of solid training completed here in Middletown, Rhode Island, I’ll be laying fairly low this last week before our trials starts. All the sailing that could have been done, has been done. The techniques have been tried and tested. Endurance has been improved in the gym and on the water. Boat-on-boat scenarios have [...]

More...

16. TLF

TLF News Robot

17. TLF

TLF News Robot

A Huge Win in Newport (Campbell Sailing)

As we might have noticed, I took the week off from writing reports here on CampbellSailing.com and handed the reigns to staff reporters (and great friends) Nick Deane and Jackie Schmitz. Through the series of literally hundreds of text messages, emails, and phone conversations, Ryan Costello and others were able to us the GeorgetownSailing.org website [...]

More...

18. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician - 29 October 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

With one full year of the Monday Morning Tactician columns I am*happy to get back down to writing. Thankfully the editor-in-chief is not very strict on his deadlines otherwise I would likely be out of the job after taking the last couple of weeks off. As the last few posts from the Olympic Trials may [...]

More...

19. TLF

TLF News Robot

New York Yacht Club Fundraiser and Golden Spinnaker Gala (Campbell Sailing)

The 2008 US Olympic Sailing Team was hosted by the New York Yacht Club in Manhattan for their famed Golden Spinnaker Gala. Close to 300 people showed their support by attending as well as bidding on numerous live and silent auction items and all enjoyed a wonderful dinner in many of the clubs amazing dining [...]

More...

20. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician: 19 November 2007 - West Coast v. East Coast (Campbell Saili

Finally, I’ve made it back to the majority of my duffle bags in Washington, DC after spending the last week and a half traveling to San Diego, New York and Los Angeles for fundraisers, US Sailing Team meetings, public relations events, physician meetings, and US Olympic*Team*orientations.Now at*my*makeshift office on my computer and cell phone here [...]

More...