2006 Laser Worlds underway!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by SFBayLaser, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

The website for the 2006 Laser Worlds is http://www.laserworld2006.com/ (though I have not been able to make it work right with Firefox, only IE). Big breeze for first day, it sounds like, and a fair fraction (47 of 129) scored DNF!

Andrew Campbell is doing a more or less daily blog on his website.

2. Deimos

Deimos Member

I cannot get it to work in IE 7 (neither text nor graphic versions. If it needs a specific version of IE 6 that's a pretty "poor show".

Ian

3. roshambo

roshambo New Member

works perfect on the Mac...

good looking site... the pictures look great.

4. rock steady

rock steady New Member

5. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

looks like it's WINDY

6. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

7. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

Re: US Pan-Am Trials (Olympic Pre-Trial)

No personal commentary? How is the racing? The wind? The weather?

8. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

9. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The usual suspects.

Andrew Campbell and Brad Funk both had a great series and ended up tied on points. Andrew won the tiebreaker.

Anna Tunicliffe and Paige Railey also had a fierce battle. It looked for a while that Paige would be number one based on the tiebreaker, but she lost a protest from the tenth and final race. Hence, Anna became the winner.

Does anyone know what the protest was all about?

10. leftfield

leftfield New Member

According to Anna's website :

"I was sailing a little higher than Paige on the reach and beginning to roll over her when she luffed to protect her lead. I responded immediately, but my boom touched her boat seconds later, setting up a windward leeward protest. Paige maintained her lead despite my efforts to catch her and she crossed the line in first place. I was second. It all came down to the protest and the jury disqualified Paige."

11. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

OK so now I am really curious. How does the leeward boat end up being tossed for "touching" a weather boat??

Note: I have a high opinion regarding each of the sailors, hope they both prosper, and realy don't care which one wins any particular event.

I am simply curious and want more info.

12. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Seems the way Anna has it worded is that Paige didn't give her room to keep clear. ala 16.1

'Course we are only going to get endless speculation here - pehaps an email to Anna would get a reply....

13. Wavedancer

16.1 When a right-of-way boat changes course, she shall give the other boat room to keep clear.

A video to see what really happened would be instructive....

14. BRace

BRace New Member

Anna was passing Paige on the reach and she threw in a quick luff. The judges were right there so I don't think there was any question Anna could not have avoided contact. It was an awsome race to watch and these two sailors deserve credit for being the best Radial sailors currently in the world. It bodes well for the US chances to medal in 2008.

15. Wavedancer

Thanks for the info; good to know what really happened.

16. TLF

TLF News Robot

OCR Day Four is a Blowout (Campbell Sailing)

We arrived on site to 73 degrees and partly cloudy skies with not even the slightest breeze rustling through the leaves on the trees. The race committee held the Lasers ashore for about an hour to wait for the impending cold front to advance across the state of Florida and get to within range of [...]

More...

17. TLF

TLF News Robot

Rolex Miami OCR Footage (Campbell Sailing)

Check out some great helicopter footage as well as interviews and racing shots from Miami OCR’s Day 5 on the Laser course at JobsonSailing.com. Keep a look out for CampbellSailing.com in 170817.

More...

18. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician (29 Jan 2007) (Campbell Sailing)

Last week sailing in the Rolex Miami Olympic Classes Regatta there were hundreds of incidents worth analyzing from the Monday Morning Tactician, as is the case during any event with more than 100 boats and 12 races. In particular, there is one area of my racing that could have helpedÂ*yield better results: my starts. Generally, [...]

More...

19. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician (5 Feb 2007) - Learning Curves (Campbell Sailing)

Around noon on a sunny, light air day last week at the US Sailing Center in Miami, in that pot-holed driveway lined with palms, I had a chance meeting with Jesse Fielding. Jesse is one of the 30 sailors I got to meet and judge during the Morning Light Project Selection Trials.Â*He wasÂ*one of the [...]

More...

20. TLF

TLF News Robot

Monday Morning Tactician (12 Feb 2007) (Campbell Sailing)

“A close duck is as good as a close cross…” Discuss…While chatting about day’s racing during the recent Rolex Miami OCR, we came to an interesting point of contention. When sailing upwind on port tackÂ*we oftenÂ*are forcedÂ*to make decisions about either crossing, tacking in the leebow position, or ducking starboard tack boats as they sail [...]

More...