2005 NA's

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Tim Polaski, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Susan Mallows

Susan Mallows New Member

Dear Tim and other concerned SF sailors,

I hear you - and I share your concerns on the cost of the NA's. We are working to reduce the cost but may not be able to acheive much for this year beyond the small reduction already posted.

We will be working up some guidelines to conducting the NA's with an eye to preventing this situation from recurring. I for one am a proponent of a club submitting a budget for a regatta prior to being chosen to run a major event.

I would suggest you address your concerns to Connie Miller, Cindy Clifton and Vic Manning regarding this years fee and reduction in the number of days sailing. This will be the most productive course of action. Their contact information is on the website.

Also, please feel free to contact me directly, I will do what I can to help.

See you on the water,
    Susan Mallows
    National Regatta Chair

2. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Thanks, Susan :)

It's good to see a response from the organization. I don't think anyone is expecting a miracle, and we all want the regatta to be a sweeping success this year and in future years as well.

Looing forward to seeing everyone at NA's. See you in Lewes.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

This is getting really confusing. Because if you access the NOR or Registration Form via the Sunfish Class website you still get the old prices.

And excuse me, but I object to that reference to "the 3 day Juniors NAs". The Junior NAs is a 2 day event - with a practice race on the Sunday. $140 for a 2 day junior regatta is still outrageous.

Everyone seems to assume that these exorbitant fees are going to buy gourmet dinners. But the fee for guest dinners is $20 - which I assume covers the real marginal cost of each dinner. Not enough to justify a regatta fee for the seniors of almost $70 a day. Or are the sailors subsidizing the guests??????

4. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Hey Geezer,

Maybe if you show them your AARP card, you'll get a senior citizen discount! :D

Really, though, have we beat this subject as far as we can? Maybe it's time to let this topic sink into the shadows. Hey there's our new poll.....

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Hah! :eek:

I dumped the AARP when they supported Bush's bogus prescription drug plan. The Sunfish class also need to be careful - if they aren't responsive to the needs of their members, then pretty soon there won't be any members.

6. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I am not up on class governance, but it's my impression that the Class Officials just select the site for the Nationals and leave it up to the organizing club to do the rest (which involves an amazing amount of work, I am sure). I do remember that the Treasurer (Pat Manning) told me last year that the class doesn't make any money on an event like the Worlds. Susan Mallows (National Regatta Chair) wrote 3/28 that the Class may get more involved, which would be good considering this year's Nationals.....

7. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

FYI this thread is now the most replied to thread on the forum.

8. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

Any idea how many SR's will show for the practice race on Sunday? It seems odd to hold a practice race three days before the regatta. I live quite close so I'm planning on going. I did find out you can leave your boat there in between.

9. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

I just looked at the Sunfish Class web site and noticed this posted.

Fees: The regatta fee for the Senior NAs is $180.00 before June 12, 2005 and $205.00 after that date. The regatta fee for Juniors attending only the 3 day Junior NAs is $100.00 before June 12, 2005 and $125.00 after that date. The fee for Juniors sailing all week (6 days) is $180.00 before June 12, 2005 and $205.00 after that date. Registration fee includes daily continental breakfast, dinner, after sailing beverages, and favors.

This forum is rocks. The regatta is still on the high end but at least they are trying. You coming now Geezer? :) :) :) :)

10. Strumy

Strumy Member

Wow looks like they lowered the price again! Amazing what a few voices can accomplish.

11. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

Looks like the Sr races are back up to $210 for the regatta if you want to eat on the water.
    From the LYC notice of race.
    Optional boxed lunches to be delivered to sailors on the water during the Regatta may be ordered. (Juniors $20.00—2 lunches: Monday and Tuesday; Seniors $30.00—3 lunches: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
    I feel the local market calling my name.
    Please retract this rocks.

12. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

WHAAATTT???? :mad:

Amazing. We are going to have our wallets drained one way or another. I'm thinking 2 footlongs at subway per day in my inspection port for about 10/day.
    Then I can let them fester for a few hours before I eat them.

I dunno, maybe they are having a surf and turf sandwich? Or perhaps a barge will be set up and we tie off and have a sit-down table service lunch with the linen.

OK enough of the flaming. I'm still going, EVEN though this may be, perhaps, be the most expensive per person, per day, regatta on the continental United States this year.

BTW...where's the geezer? did he go off on a bender?

13. scap114

scap114 Member

I am still doing the math- 3 box lunches for $30 from LYC or 2 footlongs per day at $10 per day. Sounds like a toss up, but if the footlongs are in the inspection port, I do think I know what will be "tossed up"..
    Moving back to Wavedancer's post on 3/29- from the Notice of Race, it seems like the LYC is putting on quite a spread (Pig Roast, Land and Sea, Prime Rib) along with liquid refreshments. I am not up on what was provided at past NA's, but it is implied that it is up to the host club to make the determination on what will be provided. I can't fault a club for trying to put on a first class event, as I am sure there is a lot of work being put into this event. I also do not know if there were other choices as I also do not know how hard (or easy) it is to find a club to host the event.
    If the cost of this years NA's is in fact so high that it cuts into the attendance at the event it is counter productive for the class and then perhaps the class needs to get involved. If the class finds a fee for the event that most people that participate in the event are comfortable with, then perhaps they can set the amount to be charged and asked clubs to submit what they can provide for that amount.
    Then the regatta could be awarded to the club that can give the best value to the sailor. I am sure the class would also have to look into location to make sure the regatta's location did change to optimize the chance for sailors of all regions to attend.
    I am sure that hosting an event like the NA's is good for the host club also, as it gives them exposure.

14. Wavedancer

This is an old thread, but here is a 'new' question:

How do I get my fish to swim? Does the Lewes club have a ramp?
    Or do we launch from a beach?

PS: I don't have a (Seitech type) dolly....

Thanks!

15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Lewes has a nice long beach for launching.

16. Gail

Gail 24186

I, for one, will be stopping at the local market to get some bananas, bread and PB ... And, as one allergic to things that grow in shells, well, it's not the first time I've footed the bill for many other sailor's enjoyment. That aside, there are a number of people who appreciate having a major championship feature the finer things of life. We have a limited number of people who participate on this forum. If we hear from a LARGE number of people with many views, there can be more change considered.

Hosts get chosen for a number of reasons. We need to have the championships move about the country. We need to have sites that can handle the size of fleets we expect. We need to have qualified race management available. We need to have clubs that can coordinate the size of budget involved with such an event. The number of clubs willing to host these has been dwindling, more and more each year. So, the days of "we'll go elsewhere" aren't as heady as they once were. Sailors are more demanding, too. They want ideal launch facilities, storage facilities, parking, club facilities, showers, camping, free housing, fancy hotels, and all the rest. Sunfish had a day where much of the fleet camped on the grounds of the club! That's a rarity these days. The hosts do the best they can with what they have to work with.

A part of the reason that this year's is set up W-Th-F is due to rental properties' lease terms--Saturday to Saturday, 10 am turnover. People renting "cottages" or houses have to be out by 10 am on Saturday, so to accommodate that housing is why the event was set up the way it is. I believe there were other considerations as well.

Whoever makes the trek will be treated to fantastic facilities, terrific sailing, glorious beaches, a warm welcome, and fair competition. If you're still thinking about it rather than starting to pack, START TO PACK!

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I agree with Gail. Lewes is as good as it gets. I hadn't appreciated the point about fitting in with Sat-Sat rental lets before but this just goes to show what a great bunch of people are coordinating and organizing our regattas these days. See you all at the NAs.

18. Wavedancer

With all this encouragement, I guess I 'gotto' go now!

Look for me (way) in the back of the fleet.....

19. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

Good luck to all. I'm bummed I can't make it and look out for falling aircraft.

Two pilots die in midair collision
    Cape Gazette photo
    Dan Cook photo

Members of the Delaware State Police Scuba Unit and other divers from area fire companies enter the water to begin the search for a pilot and his plane. The aircraft went down in the waters between the point at Cape Henlopen, shown in the background, and the Delaware breakwater. Two pilots were killed when their experimental planes collided over the waters near Cape Henlopen State Park and plunged into the Delaware Bay.

20. Trent Lott

Trent Lott Buy here, pay here.

dose boys up in delliwayah ah kina slo puttin up da resuhlts fo' da norf amurkins. innybody heah what hoppin today? i don' heah nuffin fum nobuddy. ahd lahk to be deah but de bume nock mah hayah off my hayed ebry tahm ah takk.