2005 NA's

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Tim Polaski, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Time to sound off on something here.

I'm looking at the NOR for the NA's and see that the regatta for regular sailors is from Wednesday to Friday. The Monday and Tuesday is for juniors, right? I need to be there for W-F correct? Is there a fleet split prior to Wed?

I also find it interesting that the race is scheduled entirely on weekdays. I know that like a lot of other people, for me vacation time is precious and I would rather have a Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon regatta for 3 days. What was the thought process here? Anyone....?

And finally, the entry fee, at $225 seems to be way up there. What is up with that? I hope there are some very good door prizes or something!

FYI: Laser NA's are $140 this year in Seattle.
    JY-15 NA's are $150 (for 2 people).
    J/22 NA's are $250-300 depending on crew#.
    Thistle NA's $120 (3 people).
    I could probably go on from here but don't see the need.

GET WHAT I"M SAYING???? So much for the affordability factor argument, right? Maybe I'm getting it all wrong? Geezer, what'ya think on this one? You'll be there? I'll be there, but I'm not going to withdraw my opinion on the cost YET.

Here's my beef: If this regatta was scheduled on the weekend and it cost less to attend, would we see a whole lot more sailors? I know this is always a well attended regatta, but would attendance go through the roof?

Flame away...... :p

2. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Well originally the week long regatta was actually from pre registration on Sunday to the Banquet on Friday or occassionally Saturday. That gave folks driving time to attend. Having it on a weekend meant folks still had to take off before the weekend and after for driving time.
    Remember it's the North American's not the local regatta.
    Been awhile, but IIRC the meals make up a large portion of the pricing,

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I agree - $225 for a 3 day regatta is outrageous. (As another point of reference, the Laser US Nationals are $130 for 4 days of sailing). I will pass on this one - Sunfish NAs are always fun - but there are limits.

4. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Am I paying for meals on days that I'm not even going to be there? That would really stink. Perhaps they could fax or email me my dinner :D

5. Strumy

Strumy Member

i was reading the reg form and noticed that the jr's only have food for sun- tuesday. if a jr is sticking around for the NA's are they paying the senior fee for wed-fri meals and racing? whats going on with this?
    Joe

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

You are right. It does say that. And it says you are going to be paying $190 for a TWO DAY JUNIOR REGATTA!!

Hope these kiddies all have rich daddies. :eek:

7. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

The $225 seems a bit high to me as well. $190 for a junior event very high and I doubt they will be having prime rib and lobster at the JR Banquet. Any way enough on the money issue. Is there a fleet split? if so how, when are they normally done at the NA's

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Some years they have two days of qualifying races to determine who will be in the Championship Fleet and who will be in the Alcort Fleet. I think they usually put the top 60% from the qualifiers and also the top 5 juniors in the Championship Fleet.

The NOR for 2005 NAs doesn't have a qualifying series so I assume everyone, including all the juniors who stay, will race in one fleet in the second half of the week. Then you have a choice. If you think you can win the championship fleet, go for it. But if you are good at sandbagging, the trick is to end up at the position one lower than 60% down the fleet. If you can achieve this you will be the 2005 Alcort Fleet Champion. And the person who beat you by one place will get zippo. Ain't life grand?

9. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Rumor and innuendo has it that it was voted on last year to eliminate the split fleet and just go down the overall standings to set the Alcort fleet when it's all done. Lot more fun to sail all together as one fleet if you asked me.

So basically, they cut 40% of the sailing out.
    (and kept the price the same)

Like I said b4, let's hope for good door prizes! ;)

10. tom whitehurst

tom whitehurst Senior Member

I have been it touch with Connie Miller about the cost of the NA's and they should be revising the NOR shortly.

Tom Whitehurst

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

The forum rules. :cool:

12. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Since the entire objective of cutting the NAs back to 3 days was to REDUCE vacation days needed and BUILD ATTENDANCE, hows about we ask Connie to run the regatta on either Thurs/Fri/Sat or Fri/Sat/Sun. That way, for the many many local sailors they can sail in the regatta with fewer days off from work. For those driving from a great distance, it will still be the same number of days off, but I bet moving the dates (and cutting the entry fee) could add 30 or more boats to the event.

BB :confused:

13. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

I am under the impression that there are some "regional" sailors living near the event that are not coming due to time off and/or pricing. You have a good point, Beldar. I doubt that the host club is in a position to change dates at this point though. Maybe thoughts for next year though.

Assuming there is no change in the dates, I wonder if some informal organization could be made for people to stick around and sail saturday after NA's. Maybe do some team racing or have a distance race or some type of other fun event. If no RC is available, we could rabbit start the fleet.

14. NE Sunfish

NE Sunfish 40725

The NOR and Registration form on the Yacht Club Website have been updated.

Senior is now $200 and the Junior is now $140.

NOR

Registration Form

15. derekcjackson

derekcjackson Member

The fee was reduced by $25 to $200? The Midwinters were $70 for the same number of days racing. It looks like Lewes has some nice really meals planned. Regardless, this seems slightly excessive. I cannot find a single Laser regatta in North America that costs more than $180... and that is a late registration fee with four days of sailing.

I agree about the timing/scheduling of the event. Why wouldn't you take advantage of the weekend? I too have heard several people in the Mid Atlantic region say they will not attend because the regatta requires too much vacation and costs too much for the amount of sailing.

16. Strumy

Strumy Member

does anyone know if the jrs are going to be paying both the jr and senior entry fee?

17. derekcjackson

derekcjackson Member

No. According to the latest NOR on the Lewes Yacht Club website:

"The regatta fee for the Senior NAs is $200.00 before June 12, 2005 and $225.00 after that date. The regatta fee for Juniors attending only the 3 day Junior NAs is $140.00 before June 12, 2005 and $165.00 after that date. The fee for Juniors sailing all week is $200.00 before June 12, 2005 and $225.00 after that date. Registration fee includes daily continental breakfast, dinner, after sailing beverages, T-shirts and favors."

18. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

The REDUCED fee is $200!?!?! Is the purpose of this event to get a bunch of retired great grand masters to show up for a food fest (with no concerns about vacation days since they are retired) or is it to run a North American Championship for what is supposed to be a decent racing class? I recommend that the lobster and prime rib be replaced with clams and hamburgers and the pig roast be replaced with McRibs from McDonalds and have the entry fee come down to $100 or so. We are going to have a 40 boat worlds in Martinique and follow it up with a 40 boat NAs despite the fact it is being held in one of the most populous Sunfish regions in the country.

BB

19. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

I am glad that the class took notice of the forum and tried SOMETHING, albeit a slight change. I think the process is probably too far along to change significantly at this point. MAYBE this kind of activity on the forum will lead to a re-think of the game plan for future (as yet unplanned) events. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

I think the worlds thing is just about location, location, location. While it's probably a stellar place to sail, it is an isolated place. If you look at the NEW pricing for worlds, it is actually pretty affordable and even comparable to NA's if you are flying in and chartering a boat.

20. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

OOPS, forget the last part of my last post. Unless you sail to Martinique, you're gonna pop a grand into airfare. Maybe THAT's why nobody wants to go.