2 Best Tips to sail fast

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Skipper Johnson, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Skipper Johnson

Skipper Johnson New Member

I thought it might be good to get everyone's top 2 tips to sailing fast.

I'll kick off

(1) Put the bung in the back of the transom. I found that leaving this out means the boat fills with water and your performance is effected.

(2) When rigging the outhaul, don't try and do a bowline, fail, give up and then tie your own special, made up knot. Special, made up knots will likely come undone meaning your sail is flapping wildly and not attached to the boom. This also effects performance

Any other ideas?

2. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

(1) Remember to tie a knot in the end of the mainsheet. Without a knot it works well to allow you to slip wind, but it affects your performance if you dump the sheet. :p

(2) When sailing a double-hander - remember to check that the spinnaker halyard is free BEFORE starting to pull it up. Otherwise you will end up on a screaming planing spinnaker reach and then realise you have a rip in the kite. ;)

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

1. If there has been an incident with the wind picking up the boat while it is still on the dock, make sure there's not a hole in the boat before launching it.

2. Make sure that there is at least some vang on when on a run to prevent the boom from popping off the gooseneck and if the the latter happens, don't re-attach with the lines all tangled so that you have to completely undo the main sheet stopper knot and re-thread, and you had been winning the race.

4. lasersailorvbc

lasersailorvbc Member

2) A bowline will not come undone if properly tied, when tying it pull it tight.

5. lasersailorvbc

lasersailorvbc Member

I dont do this, but i always see new sailors with there travellers loose, this makes the boom go to centerline, which is not fast.

Ease Hike Trim

6. sigen

sigen New Member

1) Buy a laser.

2) Practice, Practice, Practice

7. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

1. Put your rudder down. Sailing an entire race with it in the "up" position is not fast.

2. Round the marks in the direction that the sailing instructions say. For example, if they say "Starboard rounding", that means the mark should pass by the starboard side of the boat, which is easily identified because it is usually on the right hand side when you face towards the pointy part, which experts often call the "bow" or "front".

8. 144679

144679 New Member

1) when its windy and your struggling to keep it flat. play the sheet to keep the boat flat as appose to killing yourself hiking 150%

2)on flat water use allot of downhaul (Ben Ainslies sydney olympic coach told me this)

9. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

1) If its windy, only try to gybe when the boat is maxed out, down a wave. It makes the loads a lot lower. Doing it when you're going slow usually ends up a lot wetter.

2) If you're lightweight and sail std rig, and keep getting into irons tacking in strong winds, lift the board about 6-8inches. It helps the boat bear away after the tack (down speed) and once you're going fast it wont cost you any height.
    I've not tried this in a big seaway tho, and dont need to do it now i'm a fatty! :cool:

10. jimmy

jimmy New Member

1. In light air foot 5 to 10 degrees off the wind until you get your boat speed up. I find most people pinch in light air and end up sliding sideways more than they realize. IMO it is better to have boatspeed than to be pointing a few degrees higher in light air.

2. Show up to the reggatta early and well prepared.

11. Skipper Johnson

Skipper Johnson New Member

Good tip! I'm guessing you took a long time to get to the windward mark

12. minnetonkaHSsailing

minnetonkaHSsailing New Member

1. steer with your weight. if it's breezy you'll never round the windward mark without your boat being flat or heeled to windward, the rudder cavitates. tacks and gybes are all about the weight as well.

2. remember that a laser coasts really well, so use it to your advantage if you're over-powered rounding the leward mark (by not trimming in until around the mark) or on the start line (coast through a hole with speed intead of trying to power up at the gun).

13. Sarah B

Sarah B New Member

1. Don't forget that to thread the mainsheet through the loop half way along the boom - yes you know you rigged in a hurry, but decapitation is not pretty.

2. 'Eat spaghetti' rounding the leeward mark (i.e. sheet in like mad). You will start the next beat better if you make a good mark rounding.

14. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

1. Clear air, all the time- no lee-bowing, no sitting under someone, no sailing right behind someone, avoid places where the air is chopped up, e.g. left side of beat of a triangle of a multiclass regatta, etc.

2. starting- on the line, with speed, at the gun, near the favored end.

3. (had to add this too) IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PINCH CORRECTLY, DON'T!

taken from one of Stuart Walker's three indespensible books

15. Paul Shields

Paul Shields Member

Keep the top of the mast from getting stuck in the muck on the bottom of whatever water you are trying to sail on...

16. Braecrest

Braecrest Member

to quote one of my old sailing mentors Ralf Stiez "Just sail fast, and don't suck at life!"

but seriously;
    1) know your boat, rig her how you like it
    2) be familier with your boat, ie races should not be practice time!

17. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

I know this is more than two, but I just had to add them.

If someone wants to use sneaky match-racing tactics on you - give as good as you get!

If you aren't close hauled and get stuck below somone - try and widen the gap between the two boats (bear away if necessary). When you think you have room (and if you are wrong this could be very messy - so be aware of that) bear up hard, cut across their transom and bear away again. Dirty air problem solved. :)

Round a mark as close to it as you can get without touching it. If the boat in front of you doesn't go close to it - cut inside them and sheet everything on like mad. You might not get past them but you will at least be above them.

If you are on port tack and a boat is about to cross you on starboard and you know they won't make it (they should have called starboard on you by then) you don't necessarily have to tack. Bear away slightly and then bear up again and head straight for the boat. If done correctly you should cut very close just across their transom. That is how you duck a boat without changing course too much or losing much speed.

18. archcat

archcat New Member

1) Keep the sail out of the water!!!

2) Keep the Hull in the water.

It seems to work for me!!!

:)

Ok serious my 2 tip for a guy who has only been sailing lasers for a year.

1) Close-Haul sheet in block to Block if you can. And Hike, hike hike.

2) Down Wind, center board up and surf the waves.

I think it works!!!

Cheers
    Mark

19. IntensitySails

IntensitySails Member

Here are 3, I use;

(1)If you are fully hiking you should be 2 blocked

(2) on the run; up in the lulls, down in the puffs

(3) In light air get to the edges of the course

20. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

Don't do that unless you are 100% sure you can establish inside overlap rights before you hit the 2BL circle -- if you don't, and the boat in front of you is paying attention, they will slam the door so hard on you it'll make your head spin.