1st sail on the new boat (longish)

nesdog

My first boat was a Laser, purchased new in 1976. In 1984, I sold it and joined a group of friends sailing off a Socal beach, buying a Hobie 14. Followed thereafter with a Prindle 16 and then a Prindle 18. Great times! Alas, the County closed our launch area several years ago, and my friends scattered. I moved my cat to mast up storage in Ventura. Tons of wind but solo sailing a P-18 is a bit of a pain without capsize recovery options and lifeguards.

So...picked up an '87 Laser recently and set it up for the first time yesterday at the dock.

Yow! Now I remember why I did bandit setups on Mother's Beach in MDR years ago. I hate the dock setup! Dropping the mast into the step, I nearly went right off the dock.
And what the heck? New lines! The boat is all upgraded with new racing gear. Trying to avoid getting my head bashed in by the boom, I threaded the sheet, set up the vang and outhaul..OMG (to quote my 14 year old), I nearly capsized right there several times, killed my knees and wondered why I want to sell the Prindle. I need to find a way to make this set up quicker..well experience will help.

After nearly 45 minutes, I was ready to go. Out I went and.....hey! this is fun! Wind was 10 knots, overcast and foggy skies. As a long time cat sailor, I was used to turning towards the stern to tack and jibe, swinging the tiller extension around the sheet..ooops...almost lost it a few times. Whoa...forgot how quickly a mono turns compared to a multi!

But...got a couple of decent reaches and up on a plane in light winds once or twice, riding waves and remembering how I used to describe my old Laser as a big surfboard. Ok, it's not as fast as my cat but what a physical boat. I am sure I looked awful and all over the place but this was the first time I've ocean sailed recently without worrying too much about capsizing.

So today, sore knees, stiff arms and smiling like crazy! Great to be back to the Laser.

Sail number 2 today, under foggy/clearing skies. Set up way quicker this time and headed out. First stop the buoy outside the harbor with 4 or 5 big sea lions snoozing away. Then discovered a seal and jellyfish after another 30 minutes on the water.

But the highlight of the day....followed three dolphins into the harbor upon the return. They were right up next to me at times, just 15 feet away. People on the breakwater were snapping pix and watching as I was so lucky to be right there. The wind wasn't much to talk about overall but the day itself became memorable!

Back