1985 Capri 14.2 Solana Beach California

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Classified Ads' started by CDLeighton, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CDLeighton

CDLeighton New Member

1985 Capri 14.2. Beige Hull #434, brown trim. 1987 Galvanized Shoreline Trailer with spare wheel. Multi-colored day sails #541. All in Nice Condition. Ready to sail. Antifouling bottom paint.

Since 1989, seasonally moored in freshwater slip at Big Bear Lake, California. Garaged in Solana Beach home garage balance of each year.

$1,350 SOLD 4/13/08 AT ASKING PRICE

Chuck Leighton
    462 Santa Alicia
    Solana Beach, CA 92075

Tel (858) 755-8111

2. Climbthis

Climbthis New Member

Interested in Sailboat

Hello Chuck,

I am a bit of a neophyte sailor, and have two daughters that I would like to teach how to sail. i have raced a bit when younger, and may want to try my hand again, but the primary desire for this boat would be teaching my daughters. Please let me know if it is still available, and whether you might have a picture or two.

Thanks,

Michael Laplante
    928-289-6179

3. CDLeighton

CDLeighton New Member

Michael

I am new to this "Thread" system. So I am trying to respond.

You called me this evening and we talked for some time on your nickel. Thank you. You probably have a fairly good idea of the condition of the boat now. I will look forward to your visit.

The main sail has white, red, orange and yellow bands. The jib is yellow with a single blue band below the window.

Chuck Leighton
    (858) 755-8111

4. fish89

fish89 New Member

Teaching the Kids to Sail

Hi Climbthis,

I am in the same position you are in (teaching my 8 and 4 year old boys how to sail). The Capri 14.2 is a great choice because once the kids learn the sailing basics on it, they can also race the boat. It is also fairly easy to handle single-handed if you ever have a chance to sail an hour or two with no crew and is very easy to launch, step, and derig by yourself if you need to. (My 8 year old normally secures the forestay to the roller furling can when we step the mast, so he is a big help.) The only thing I will recommend if you are out sailing in greater than 10 mph winds or are subject to wind gusts on your lake is don't cleat the main sheet on the barney post unless you can pop it loose instantly. The Capri does have a good amount of sail area for such a light boat and will go over (as you may have noticed from other posts) if you are not quick enough in letting out the main sheet. Knock on wood, I have yet to go over (have been sailing since high school), but I do understand that the Capri has a tendency to turtle quickly if you do, so I avoid that at all costs. Have fun learning to sail no matter which boat you choose.

Wouldn't trade my Capri for any other small trailerable...

Fish 89