1975 Sunfish Drain Plug

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Diddy, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Diddy

Diddy New Member

I bought a "new style" drain plug from Sunfish Direct for my 1975 boat. The year is clear from the serial number stamped on the transom. It is too big, does not fit. Everything I've read says there are two drain plugs - "old" and "new styles, with the changeover year 1972. Can anyone explain why the "new" plug does not fit a 1975 boat?

2. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

I ordered the same thing once upon a time got the same results. Not
    worth the trouble. You can get a plug from the plumbing section of
    True Value hardware stores or order a Garboard drain plug online.
    Wine corks work or you can just sail without the plug for now.

3. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

The older pre 1972 deck drain plugs were press fit into the deck with no flange. The screw in plug part bottomed out at the internal flange. Then in 1972 they added a flange and used the split pins to hold it onto the deck, similar pin that held the mast and halyard bases on the mast. The plug you purchased is the third style deck plug made of plastic. The only issue with this style is that it is not flush with the deck. Also as you found out needs a larger hole in the deck to be installed. You can make a bigger hole or buy a used deck drain plug. I have a couple of these. I prefer the new plastic ones as they are replaceable for cheap money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

I do have the old style, metal screw-in deck drain plug assemblies. $10, shipping included.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

Attached Files:

5. Diddy

Diddy New Member

Thanks, been using corks for several years, would like to screw in a plug and not worry about it popping out or needing corkscrew to remove it.

6. Diddy

Diddy New Member

Thanks, I meant the drain plug (bailer) in bottom of cockpit.

7. Diddy

Diddy New Member

Thanks, I meant the bailer in the cockpit, not the drain plug on the deck.

8. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

The difference is not too significant in the plastic bailers, but there are two distinct differences in metal bailers. ("De Persia").

Until I get my metal bailers sorted out, I'm using a NAPA "adjustable rubber freeze-plug". It should be in stock @ $5, and measure 1ΒΌ". Put the larger washer inside.