1974 (?) Sunfish Serial Number

Scowboy

I just bought a beautiful Sunfish that's been stored in a barn for the last 35 years. It literally looks like new. The owner told me it was a 1974 and the features would confirm it's at least in that age range. No paperwork and not registered since 1985. Trying to find the serial number. There is no metal plate near the splash rail although there is a plastic sticker in that place. Unfortunately, I can't read anything on it. Ideas?

The Hull Identification Number (HIN) should appear on the upper right transom. (A boating requirement since 1971). Check the last three characters, because the year—likely expressed as 74—should appear there.

My latest Sunfish is missing a HIN :( apparently through a transom repair, and a strange number appears in the upper left corner of the transom instead. :confused:

I looked there 1st but the transom is completely blank. No HIN, no repair. I'm attaching a file of the blank sticker on the deck by the splashrail in case anyone recognizes. The boat has a new style rudder and a cockpit with the aft storage
IMG_2960.JPG

Just to confirm, there isn't a serial number etched into the upper right corner of the transom that's similar to this?
upload_2015-10-15_17-54-34.png

I suspect that this boat is not a '74 but actually a couple of years older. According to the Sunfish timeline, the rear stripes were added in '73 and the serial number was added in that year as well. Since yours has neither, think it's probably a '71 or '72 since it does have a storage compartment.

What Beldar said plus it only has the triple stripes on the bow. The 70s were all about stickers, aluminum and Tang. Those AMF Alcort Division stickers got lost pretty quick, surprised that you have that much left. Nice boat, excellent fiberglass mat in those years and they hadn't gone crazy with foam guns yet, so it should be stiff and light.

Got this one from someone cleaning out a barn- looks similar to the one above....new style rudder, storage compartment, no HIN on the transom, blank sticker near the splashrail. So is this a '72? Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg