1974 restoration finally complete

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by xflyer95, Aug 15, 2009.

1. marvin-miller

marvin-miller Arrrr...

Hahaha - I've seen some nuts - you're not that bad :D Besides, it's pretty clear now that you've become a pro in a very short period :cool:

I'm amazed with your restoration - that boat really needed some serious work :eek: But that's the thing with fiberglass - you can do anything with it. I know little about it but I've seen some miracles...

Many years ago I was trailering my boat back from a remote lake with a buddy. We'd spent the better part of the day sailing in +20 knots and, wherever possible, trying to run over windsurfers that were tacking back and forth across the lake :D (there were hundreds of them and we were the only sailboat, so the pickin's were easy :))

As part of the excursion we were, of course, drinking some beer.... Anyway, to make a long story short, as we were coming back on this logging road the boat got loose and actually ended up being dragged on the transom down the road a ways (it's a horror story, I know) and it ground off a pretty good portion of the bottom rear of the transom.

Anyway, the damage was pretty scary. It had ground off enough fiberglass that you could see inside the boat - and even put your hand in there! Fortunately, my father's good friend was a master ship builder (he designed and built all the Fraser and Endurance series of sailboats).

So I took it by his place, I figured it was the end of the boat, but in literally 10 minutes, while I was standing there, he ground off the back of the boat (basically cut it open) and laid in fiberglass matt. He said it was no big deal and sure enough, he had it fixed in no time flat. You literally can't tell anything ever happened - and if anything it's stronger then it was.

Granted, this guy was a master shipbuilder, he'd been fiberglassing all his life and had built hundreds of sailboats. But what really blew me away was how fast a major disaster like that could be fixed. I really thought it was the end of the boat but he just smiled. I'm still amazed by it and it causes me to wonder, does a fiberglass sailboat ever really wear out? Is there any amount of damage that can't be repaired?

Of course, that's not a restoration like your boat but it really impressed me that a person can, with the right skill, make it like new again. Your boat is a testimony to that and I think mine will be too. Compared to yours all I have to do is complete the mast step repair and clean up the bottom - so I got it easy :D

The question has been raised about whether it's cost-effective when compared to buying a newer boat - certainly that makes sense, but in my case the better part of my childhood was spent on my laser and many, many friends went sailing with me on it. Some of the best times of my life were spent on that boat and given that it seems to be infinately repairable - I'd rather keep the memories - and the boat that made 'em :D

My sailing is pretty different though, we always sailed in BIG winds. It was never raced - it was beat repeatedly in the hardest, biggest winds we could find. For me, class rules are irrelevant other then that I like to keep it basically stock. To me, it's always been about reaching the outter limits of my endurance so form really follows function. Granted, it's been 10 years now since I sailed so it's entirely possible that I can't even do any of the things I used to when I was in my twenties. :(

Time will tell but I bet my old Laser can still remove that 'new' belly I've gotten over the years in short order :D

2. scars_scrapes

scars_scrapes New Member

great restoration, looks brand new. in the middle of one my self, started with a 1979 ugly yellow hull and am in the paint stages, chose yellow and white this time.

where did you find the Laser sticker for the hull? also since you painted the deck, is it slippery?

thanks,

Matt

3. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

You can get the laser stickers from westcoast sailing....there are several colors to choose from.

The painted deck is maybe a little more slippery but wet is wet and the none skid texture was not affected much at all. The paint is ppg single stage "shopline". The hull (white bottom) is also. The grey stripe is base coat clear coat "global" ppg

best of luck! Send pics. Eric

4. monkey_feet

monkey_feet Arlington, TX

Your boat looks great! We have a member at our club that is racing a Laser with a 4 digit sail number (can't remember the year).

That is a wonderful resto job. The boat looks brand new.

If you ever find yourself in Arlington, feel free to come over and sail with us...

www.arlingtonyachtclub.org

5. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Thanks for the invite! I've sailed at AYC years ago when I was active in the cat 22 fleet in Grapevine. We always enjoyed the sailing and the after sailing at the regattas there! I lived in Arlington in the late 80's and early 90's when I worked at Meacham Field and Addison Airport.

Lasers are still new to me and as one who always trimmed sheets and flew the spinaker,.... having a tiller in my hand should scare anyone who is within a few boat lengths of me! Recently I screwed up my patella tendon (at the front of my right knee cap) and I can't place ANY pressure (kneeling) even for a micro second....which makes it next to impossible to strap on a laser. I'm chomping at the bit to sail...but I'll have to let it get better.

Enough of that...I look forward to sailing lake Arlington again and Join us out here at Shreveport Yacht Club at one of our regattas if you get a chance.

Good Luck

Eric

6. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

It's been fun to hear about the process over the last year. The pictures though... WOW.

It looks like a laser that has been in storage for years - kept brand new - and just saw the light of day.

Congrats all around. Now, let's see pictures of it sailing :D

7. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

George...thanks again for all your help. The UPS guy got tired of toting your shipments to my porch...over and over. I like the website "facelift" ..looks sharp!

I will get some pics of it sailing soon.

Eric :)

8. brad94

brad94 New Member

i restored my 82 laser just before the summer this year, it wasn't easy but i think that choosing the final coulour was the hardest part, i chose a light grey like your's and every one at my local club thought it was a brand new boat, i got a relaly good finish just using a roller and "itnerlux toplac" for the hull and then rollering the topside with "interlux brightside" it was really worth it but i did find the new paint a bit slippery. but solved the problem with a bit of surf wax

9. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

There are three "new" boats next to mine at the club that are sadly left to the elements. They are all less than 5 yrs old ....with covers full of water. My stainless steel gudgeons give me away as the old boat. :cool:

10. Go Blue

Go Blue New Member

Awesome job!

11. brad94

brad94 New Member

yes sadly xflyer, there is always something that gives your boat away,i think mine has to be the ancient ratchet block for the main sheet the although is nearly twice as old as me and has spent most of it's life ether emersed in salt water or in the baking sun show's now sign of giving up :D

12. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

...time to drop some coin and replace it!! With the new brake coming out, it would be the perfect time to do it.
    If you have pics of you project...before and after...post them. I've benefited greatly from pics posted on this forum...and I always seem to gravitate to the threads that have pics posted...first :D

13. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Thank you Michael. ;)

14. brad94

brad94 New Member

yes, i was planning to get the new brake and also the new traveler blocks when they come out. unfortunately i was stupid enough not to get any before pictures :mad: but i do have some pictures of it now shiny and finished....

...and yes, before you ask, believe it or not that is to what i have been told an original "old school" laser radial rig....not definitively sure though...

Attached Files:

15. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Nice! The deck looks very clean! Check out the home crafted dolly. :) Big diameter tires make for smooth rolling!

16. brad94

brad94 New Member

thanks!, it's a partly hand crafted, partly original galvanized steel dolly, i keep meaning to buy a new one but it isn't at the top of my list.

17. jjconcepts

jjconcepts New Member

Congratilations, I just brought home a 1977. I unfortunatly can't open your pics.. not sure why. If you have a quick list of the references that helped most, It would be great to have a list available.

I have only sailed a sailfish many years ago - I am excited to be going back to sailing..
    congratulations again on completing your project.

-joe-

18. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Hey Joe, I'm not exactly sure where to start....I think pictures seem to be the best way. Then you can expect folks who know more than I to direct you to the vast sea of very helpful threads.
    First though... sizing up the areas that need a plan of action will become more apparent the more you dig into this forum...and your "new" boat.
    Cost can not be overlooked...time as well as money may prove (as it did with my project) that "restoring" a boat verses making adequate repairs for sailing, may cost more than buying a nice used "turn key" boat .
    Having said that ....you are in the right place! Everything I did right was the result of the resources found and pointed out in this forum.
    Good luck and start shoving pictures at us! :)
    Eric

19. jjconcepts

jjconcepts New Member

Thank you very much.. i saw your pictures and the boat looks incredible. congratulations.. I will be taking to boat out on long island sound for the first time this afternoon, I've only regularly sailed sailfish before... I will definitely be in the forum often - there does seem to be a lot on knowledgeable, helpful, and most important, patient threads..

thanks again, and I love what you did with your boat
    -joe-

20. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

Very cool Joe...can't wait to see the pics
    Eric