1974 Guppy 13ft. Cabin Cruiser

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by 73sunfish, Aug 24, 2009.

1. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

2. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

3. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

I remember when those first came out.

Never sailed one, but remember reading reviews, etc...

They are about what you'd expect - small keelboat. So, it's a very slow sail. Your sunfish, which planes off the wind, will go much faster. Very shallow draft, so they don't point terribly well - foot for speed and don't try to pinch.

It's very compact, so if you're a big dude, may not be a very good choice.

Even though it's a keelboat, it's still a *very* small boat, so you won't want to take it onto big open water in rough conditions.

But for gunkholing/camping in larger lakes and protected coastal areas with moderate breeze, might be just the thing.

4. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

I'm not looking to buy it. It just reminds me of my amf alcort puffer.. I sold my puffer last year unfortunately..

5. Bearadise

Bearadise LifeLong Newbie

Cool little boat!

6. Petrel

Petrel Member

Adorable.
    I guess this is an OLD er thread, but what the heck.
    73SUNFISH, what was the asking price?
    I spotted a PEEP HEN, seemingly uncared for, uncovered in the snow with a couple of flat tires a few years ago and wondered if the owner would be interested in selling. THEN I saw what they tended to go for. I disabused myself of the notion of owning one, not having even 1K to invest. Cute boats these little pocket cruisers.

I ALSO have a 1973 Sunfish. Medium royal blue with white diagnonal stripes. I am SLOW to get it rigged and running because of lovely New England, hinterland (non-coastal) climate and fallout of ?global warming (or "global warning"). It rained a lot this year, followed by horrid muggy weather. Then there are the TICKS and MOSQUITOES. I'm going to buy some Monsanto stock any day now.... <swatting and splashing on the DEET and catnip>. Today was gorgeous and dry and sunny, but not much breeze.

Petrel

7. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

I think asking price was $1100..

monsanto is d devil

8. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

9. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

thread hijacked. oops.