1970's sunfish project

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Bailey McKenna, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Bailey McKenna

Bailey McKenna New Member

Recently I purchased a 1970's sunfish for 100$. It is in great condition and sails great. I want to make some cosmetic changes and don't know where to begin. Do I have to paint the boat using gelcoat? If not what marine paints work best? Also, I need to replace the bow handle. It was competent snapped off when I bought the boat. How would I go about replacing it? Thanks

-bailey

2. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

You can possibly sand with 100 grit then 220 and wax, gelcoat would be good for spot repairs but not the entire boat.

Interlux Brightside or Rustoleum Topside, Petit is also good.

I like Yankee Boating Center for parts, they ship theirs with new screws: http://www.sunfishsailboats.com/hull.php

Post a few pictures and give us a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Fair winds, kent

3. Rob C.

Rob C. Member

When you replace the bow handle set the boat upside down on a set of saw horses before you unscrew the old one, and install the new one with it upside down, that way if the wood backing block has come loose from the under side of the deck it won't fall down into the hull.
    Same deal if you are replace the bridle.

Bed the screws with 3M 4200 when you put them back. You can get a small tube of it at a boating store.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cathleen Deegan Osterloh

Cathleen Deegan Osterloh New Member

Recently replaced the bow handle, did not think about the backing block, but I was lucky all went well.