1970's sunfish project

Bailey McKenna

Recently I purchased a 1970's sunfish for 100$. It is in great condition and sails great. I want to make some cosmetic changes and don't know where to begin. Do I have to paint the boat using gelcoat? If not what marine paints work best? Also, I need to replace the bow handle. It was competent snapped off when I bought the boat. How would I go about replacing it? Thanks

-bailey

Recently I purchased a 1970's sunfish for 100$. It is in great condition and sails great. I want to make some cosmetic changes and don't know where to begin. Do I have to paint the boat using gelcoat?
You can possibly sand with 100 grit then 220 and wax, gelcoat would be good for spot repairs but not the entire boat.

If not what marine paints work best?
Interlux Brightside or Rustoleum Topside, Petit is also good.

Also, I need to replace the bow handle. It was competent snapped off when I bought the boat. How would I go about replacing it? Thanks
I like Yankee Boating Center for parts, they ship theirs with new screws: http://www.sunfishsailboats.com/hull.php

Post a few pictures and give us a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Fair winds, kent

When you replace the bow handle set the boat upside down on a set of saw horses before you unscrew the old one, and install the new one with it upside down, that way if the wood backing block has come loose from the under side of the deck it won't fall down into the hull.
Same deal if you are replace the bridle.

Bed the screws with 3M 4200 when you put them back. You can get a small tube of it at a boating store.

Back