1969 Sailfish/Sunfish Brochure

Stache

15267664_10208002616731444_1051871036820881125_n.jpg
Just received this in the mail today.

Very nice.

I've collected old automobile factory brochures, including one for the NSU Ro80 sedan, the Ruger roadster, and the Porsche 901. The 901 never made it into production, as they changed the model designation to 911. :eek: The sleek NSU Ro80 sedan was powered by the new Wankel engine. I don't think Bill Ruger sold the one roadster he designed, souped-up, and built by hand. Similar to this design:
626009997-1_0.jpg

Your brochure needs framing and hanging.

And see? Sunfish are lightweight and easily lifted to a car's top. :rolleyes:

The brochure does say "1969 AMF Alcort", but why use cars from 1962-63? :confused:

Cool. I have one of those and wonder if AMF was just recycling old brochures, I didn't think they still offered kits at that point, esp of the Standard Sailfish. There is some great info there, esp about the hull colors and sails. I still want the straw hat. And for years I didn't realize that the metal tag had a Sailfish as well as the Sunfish profile on it.

The Super Sailfish MKII is very versatile, it also makes a great, stable SUP. The Standard Sailfish is good for a core workout.

Kent
IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG

Do I dare put some handrails on my Sunfish, like the Sailfish? I've got a bunch laying around. I like teak, but wonder if they're just in the way.... probably. Should just make a teak splash rail. :)

Do I dare put some handrails on my Sunfish, like the Sailfish? I've got a bunch laying around. I like teak, but wonder if they're just in the way.... probably. Should just make a teak splash rail. :)
Weren't you the one that didn't like the itty bitty raised edge around the cockpit? If so you really won't like sitting on wood rails! If that wasn't you, then consider how much you like pain before you install them!

Ha! They strapped one upside down to the top of a Corvair, so when the Corvair
spins around and around like and tea-cup and flips over the boat will be right-side-up!
Go GM!

Weren't you the one that didn't like the itty bitty raised edge around the cockpit? If so you really won't like sitting on wood rails! If that wasn't you, then consider how much you like pain before you install them!
knucklehead...no...I wasn't concerned about itty bitty raised edges!! Look in the Sailfish pic too... people aren't sitting on them...they're too far forward. Not sure of their usefulness, but they look OK. Probably be in the way of the water cannon anywazzz...

Certainly not "PC", as the ad would appear today :oops:. No life jackets, so nobody's pictured as "illegal" in 1969. :cool:

I didn't realize that Alcort sold trailers (ALC-12). Was there an ALC-11?

Has anyone seen or (even) kept one?

15327338_10208002617291458_7705173550313079490_n.jpg

I'd be curious as to the number of spring leaves on their trailer, or their official listing of capacity. Alcort would be the ones to know, especially as Jet-Skis [and their trailers] weren't around back then—at least, as we know them today. There was the "Mosquito", an early, outboard-powered, 10-footer.

Thanks for finding that. :)

Four-hundred pounds capacity for two Sunfish, while one Jet-Ski weighs 1000 pounds! Jet-Ski trailers are definitely "overspring" for Sunfish! (Unless you're transporting five Sunfish). :eek:

So L&V you were not able to find anything like this on eBay? Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
That link takes me to eBay's "home page"; however, what appears at the bottom of my screen gets me to the Sunfish replacement emblem. (Eventually). :(

Put what's underscored in red below into Google, click on "Images", then click on the blue Sunfish replacement coaming picture, and you'll come to a poor, warped, imitation of what's on genuine Sunfish sails—pay $15.95 for the emblem, and then $13.45 in shipping. (!) :confused:

Picture below:

Fullscreen capture 12122016 62840 AM.bmp.jpg

I am pretty sure that picture of the fish logo was taken at an angle. :cool:

I am puzzled :confused: you couldn't find it when you searched. They are advertised continously. Agree it is quite pricey. You can buy a good quality used sail for only $100 or so more:D

In the world of cartopping your Alcort, a brochure on eBay shows that you can use a Morris Minor to haul your Sailfish around. Item number 192373861723 and no it is not my ad. Its also worthwhile to read the quotes about the Sailfish.

Thanks for finding that. :)

Four-hundred pounds capacity for two Sunfish, while one Jet-Ski weighs 1000 pounds! Jet-Ski trailers are definitely "overspring" for Sunfish! (Unless you're transporting five Sunfish). :eek:

That link takes me to eBay's "home page"; however, what appears at the bottom of my screen gets me to the Sunfish replacement emblem. (Eventually). :(

Put what's underscored in red below into Google, click on "Images", then click on the blue Sunfish replacement coaming picture, and you'll come to a poor, warped, imitation of what's on genuine Sunfish sails—pay $15.95 for the emblem, and then $13.45 in shipping. (!) :confused:

Picture below:

View attachment 21769

I wonder if ol' LP Bill has seen this.

In the world of cartopping your Alcort, a brochure on eBay shows that you can use a Morris Minor to haul your Sailfish around. Item number 192373861723 and no it is not my ad. Its also worthwhile to read the quotes about the Sailfish.
A Morris Minor "to haul"—yes, as in a trailer—No Problem...

I would not have been able to car-top a Sailfish on my 1960 Morris Minor.

Attachments

• P5240107-005.JPG
    P5240107-005.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 43
I think this calls for a historic reconstruction. Volunteers needed. Who has a wooden sailfish? Who has a Morris Minor Tourer?

I wonder if ol' LP Bill has seen this.
Confused 1:
Is Laser Performance Bill a member of the sailing forum?

Are his Styrofoam blocks being shaken and stirred by selecting hard springs? :oops:

Confused 2:
The Morris Minor "Tourer" featured in the brochure didn't look familiar to me. It's doubtful any of that old 40s model made it to the USA—ever! Now I see that the ad was placed in Australia's version of eBay. :confused:

"Tourer" = Convertible

In those days, The UK's Morris Minor automobiles were shipped "KD" (knocked down) to Africa and Asia in wooden crates—ready to assemble. (Like the Sailfish!) ;)

I stand corrected on the tourer vs convertible. The tourer apparently refers to the 1940 model that had the headlights behind the grill. The pictured Morris Minor is correctly called a convertible.

That's not an Australian car since the driver is on the left. Down Under it would be right hand drive. The brochure is being sold from NY state. Anyway the quote in the "what owners say" section that its "faster than a greased cat and goes to windward like witch" is curious.

Has anyone heard of a Sailfish referred to as a "sportabout"?

Back