1964 Super Sailfish Restoration

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by mindgasm, Nov 21, 2011.

  1. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    At this point, I moved outside, to get overall pictures of the hull structure and to show the taping. Note that the port side (up) has been sanded and cleaned up, whereas the starboard side (down) has not.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    I took a number of photos of the internal structure of the Sailfish, because it didn't seem like there were many available.

    From the bow:
     

    Attached Files:

  3. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    By section:
     

    Attached Files:

  4. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    From the stern:
     

    Attached Files:

  5. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    The next step was to fit the deck:
     

    Attached Files:

  6. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Next, the deck was epoxied:
     

    Attached Files:

  7. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Since the last picture, I have now taped both edges of the deck, as well as the stern. I have spent the last few weeks filling and sanding, getting something akin to a smooth surface.

    I have pulled together the assorted deck parts that will need to be refastened, including new bronze fasteners. The carriage bolt was replaced, though I could really use a bronze wing nut if anyone has a spare...

    Last night, I sanded down the old varnish on the mast block. I also drilled the pilot holes for the mast block and new teak handrails, along with the last bit of fill on the deck.

    Tonight I will sand that last bit of fill on the deck, then check for any fill needed on the sides or hull.

    In theory, I will be painting her on Saturday!
     
  8. Rob C.

    Rob C. Member

    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Do you know how much a wooden sailfish is supposed to weigh? My neighbor has one sitting in his back yard that he wants to be rid of. It looks to be in decent shape but it must weigh about 175 lbs. I think the wood must have soaked up some water, either that or whoever built it made the frames out of white oak. LOL
     
  9. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Friday night, the deck fill was sanded, the hull flipped and final fill completed on the hull side.

    This morning, I woke up early and sanded the fill spots that had cured overnight. Switching to 150 grit, I sanded the entire surface as prep for the first coat of paint, applied later this morning.
     

    Attached Files:

  10. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    "This afternoon, I waited until the paint passed the "thumbprint test", and applied the second coat.
    I am hoping to get a third coat in by nightfall.That will allow it to cure overnight, with plans to flip the hull Sunday, and start the deck color (red).
     

    Attached Files:

  11. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Today, the hull was flipped and prepped for paint.
     

    Attached Files:

  12. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    The deck was painted with several layers of Fire Red. Heads up to anyone using Interlux, this stuff is thin and will need several coats.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. mindgasm

    mindgasm Member

    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Here is the finished result this morning...
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page