1950's wooden sunfish

AMANDA

Am a proud owner of a 1950's wooden Sunfish with original sail! Where are some companies you would recommend so I can restore my gem? Any information about where I can learn about the wooden Sunfish would be great. I am not finding much luck, but I did find this forum.
Amanda

Am a proud owner of a 1950's wooden Sunfish with original sail! Where are some companies you would recommend so I can restore my gem? Any information about where I can learn about the wooden Sunfish would be great. I am not finding much luck, but I did find this forum.
Amanda
Not quite sure what you are looking for when you say "companies". Are you seeking a boat builder who does restoration of wood boats? Or, are you looking for a supplier for the proper materials so you can tackle the job yourself?

For information, try Sunfish_Sailor owner's support group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor
Among the membership are a couple of dozen wood Sailfish and wood Sunfish owners. Discussions over the 2009 season have included about four wood "fish" currently being restored. They have the original wood kit instructions available for download and members have posted many photos you can view for reference.

Attachments

• Copy of Wood Sunfish circa 1950s.jpg
    Copy of Wood Sunfish circa 1950s.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for all the information! I will try those websites. I am trying to restore it myself so am looking for places where I can get supplies, parts, etc.

Thanks for all the information! I will try those websites. I am trying to restore it myself so am looking for places where I can get supplies, parts, etc.
Restoring a wood hull can be a little involved. Because the hull design is a hollow pontoon, true restoration, can and should involve either removing the deck or one of the bottom sections so the inner space can be inspected for rot and the seams re-sealed.

Sealing, preserving, and finishing materials can be obtained from an on-line supplier such as Jamestown Distributors or you may have a marine supply outlet in your community.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

The pictures from other restoration projects and the booklet available at the web site I recommended earlier will provide you with knowledge of the inner hull’s layout and construction.

Parts will depend on your boat explicitly. A few are specific to the wood Sunfish, and even to when during the decade it was produced. Replacements might be found on the used parts market, some are still available new from their manufacturer, still others you may need to make yourself or adapt more modern versions of.

If you would post some pictures of parts that are worn or places on the boat where pieces appear to be missing, it would help those who are attempting to guide you know which of the aforementioned paths to steer you down.

BTW does your boat have the wood mast & spars?

Here's a look at a project posted here awhile back:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=28024

Yes, it does have [the wood] mast. I will check on spars.
If the mast is wood, good bet the spars are too.

I look forward to seeing lots of pictures, Thanks

Attachments

• Wood Mast & Spars.jpg
    Wood Mast & Spars.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 66

Back